Beth Moore (Get Out of That Pit, Thomas Nelson 2007)
“A pit wasn’t meant to be accepted. ” Author Beth Moore
Is God calling you out of the pit? Not sure what a pit is? Join me as I journal Beth Moore’s book. I too am a pit dweller, so we will be in good company. Beth shares these three samples of pits for us:
- “You FEEL stuck!” Know you are in a pit. Acknowledge it for what it is. You can’t get out yourself. A pit only gets deeper.
- “You can’t stand up!” Your soul has a very real enemy. He is not flesh and blood.
- Eph.- 6:11 Take your stand against the devil’s schemes.
- Eph. – 6:13 Stand your ground, and after you have done everything, stand.
- One way to know you are in a pit is that you FEEL ineffective and utterly powerless against attack. We are convinced we have nowhere to go.
“we will define pit this way: A pit is an early grave that Satan digs for you in hopes he can bury you alive.”
- He can’t make you stay.
- God won’t make you leave.
3. “You’ve lost vision!” A pit is poorly lit: we can’t even see the obvious anymore.
- We are convinced we have nowhere to go.
- We become “stiff-necked” per the Bible.
- Endless echo’s of self-absorption.
- Being nearsighted, it breeds hopelessness.
- Buried in our present state we FEEL no passion about a promised future.
Beth reminds us we were created in the image of God.
“All image-bearers of God were intended to overflow with effervescent life, stirring and spilling over with God-given vision.”
We don’t have to be in a stronghold of sin to be in a pit.
We just have to:
Feel we can’t stand up to our enemy
Feel like we have lost our vision
Well, what do you think, now? Are you in a pit. I know I have seen some pits in my day. I’ve crawled out of some, but yet I still find myself on the edge of another one often.
How in the world does a person get into a pit?
How in the world does a person get out of a pit?
I think the next chapter and blog will give us more answers. Be sure to register with WordPress to follow me and choose “by email” and you will know when the next post has come.
Keep your head up until we meet again in Chapter 2. Feel free to share and like my blog with others. Also comment for a rich dialogue.
To God be the Glory With love, Shelley